Brunei Cabinet Database
- Year: 2015 - Present
- Tags: government
- Tools: Airtable, Google Sheets (Docs/Drive)
The database is also viewable on Airtable Universe, a showcase of Airtable databases and templates, as Brunei Ministers and Permanent Secretaries :)
Visit on Airtable Universe
Screenshot on Airtable Universe
Note: For those new to the database format, this version may be friendlier as it contains a description alongside the database. Please note though, it is a copy and may not be up-to-date.
Database of current, as well as previous, Brunei Cabinet members (Ministers, Deputy Ministers, and positions with Ministerial Ranks). Also includes Permanent Secretaries and Deputy Permanent Secretaries.
Does not currently include Legislative Council members - I am considering this.
What is recorded:
- Appointment details (Date started, date ended, references)
- Person details (Name, age, background, photo) - Publicly available information only
Not a Feature: Titles & Hierarchies
Apologies that the titles of individuals
and the appropriate ~~hierarchies of Ministries * may not be
shown correctly. This is not meant to offend, it's to make the database simpler to manage.
* - As of Jan 2018, Ministry hierarchy has been added (and is hopefully working)
Features: Database Views
You can view the Current Cabinet:
View Gallery Cabinet Ministers only
View List All including PermSecs
The database is meant to be a reference to current and past appointments. Other than that, I also thought it would be useful to have certain kinds of information (i.e. database views/queries) about Brunei senior government appointments, such as...
- Gallery of women appointed (Current)
- List of women appointed (Current & Past)
- Age at appointment
- Length of current appointments
- History of appointments in a Ministry (e.g. PMO)
- History of appointments for a person
Currently, I've collected appointments during the 2010-2015 and 2015-2010 periods. There are still many gaps that I try to update in my spare time.
If you'd like to help contribute, I'd greatly appreciate it! (Crowdsourcing is A++, guys)
Part 1: Spreadsheet
To keep track of 'who replaced who' in the 2015 Brunei Cabinet reshuffle, I started a spreadsheet on Google Sheets. I ended up also tracking appointments of Permanent Secretaries and their Deputies. The further back I dug, the larger the spreadsheet became.
- Status: Retired. Spreadsheet remains online but will not be updated.
- Visit Spreadsheet: http://goo.gl/upuDCH
Part 2: Database
The spreadsheet got unwieldy, so when I discovered Airtable, I experimented with the data in a database format. I liked it so much that I ended up transferring it over from the spreadsheet to the database. (Databases are a lot of fun.)
- Status: Current
- Visit Database: http://bit.ly/brucabinet_base
It's worth mentioning that although SiapaKedia by BAG Networks was not a direct inspiration for this project, I had used it occasionally as a resource for checking appointments and "who's who" of senior government officials. It was pretty thorough!
When I created my spreadsheet, SiapaKedia had already started to be inactive. I decided to make my spreadsheet that would fit my specific interest, i.e. a resource that would show me who had been transferred, promoted, and so on.
Updates to the database are now posted here on my project status database.
Previous updates and posts on my Tumblr:
- General project announcements
- Meta posts, i.e. the smaller updates
- Posts specific to Database (Part 2 - current)
- Posts specific to Spreadsheet (Part 1)